R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Let's talk modified 1/12
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2016, 10:14 PM
dbailes
Tech Initiate

The good thing about this thread is it is obvious that many racers do care about carpet racing at its highest level. Unfortunately the manufacturers do not see the value of competing at that level. Open mod needs companies with some skin in the game to field the best drivers they can get to make it competitive at the national and world levels. Most are not willing to do so and seem willing to let it die at least in the US.

To say that ROAR has been less than proactive would be a huge understatement. They are more worried about catching cheaters than being a key part of promoting the sport let alone competitive excellence in North America.

So where do does this leave us? We are at ground zero and starting over. If that means we have to run a faster spec class to get more people moving up then so be it. At least we are doing something and initial response is positive. I predict surprising results at the HC. I think It may make sense to run 17.5 and 6.5 at smaller events and 17.5, 10.5 and open at national events.

Race promoters should not allow mod drivers in stock. This is more a matter of fairness than anything. Someone running 5 classes will have a huge track time advantage over someone running 2 classes. Throw in better equipment they get for free and a couple decades of top level racing experience and you may see why people stop competing. They have no chance. I personally think no race should allow more than 3 classes per racer....EVER. Limiting tracktime is the best way to level the playing field.

As far as why people stay in stock class. When you never have the opportunity to run mod why would you spend the money to run mod at a big race? My sponsors arent asking me to. I can assure you FEAR isnt part of the equation.