R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Let's talk modified 1/12
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2016, 04:50 PM
DesertRat
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
Actually... it is... We ran 10.5 brushless (basically blinky) about 5-6yrs ago and it easily out ran brushed 1/12 Mod. 13.5 for sure does now and I bet 17.5 is close. I still have all my brushed Mod stuff so that is something we will find out soon enough!!
Wow. I wouldn't have guessed based on the video. I never raced brushed mod and have just recently been trying to race brushless mod well enough to not be embarassed by it, so I lack a direct comparison.

Just so I can say that I'm not talking out of my ass and making all of this up, I made my claim based on a few race weekends I had when I got back into 1/12 where I running a 27 turn brushed stock and 4 cell NiMH against other racers running 1 cell 13.5 with boost. The brushless guys were noticeably faster than I was after about 30 feet down the back straight, but my older brushed car with a decent stock motor and 3800(?) cells had more low end to the point where I may have been the best mid-field car. This was circa 2010. Now none of us were national event racers, so who knows how fast others were going at the time, but I based my claim that old-school cells and brushed motor 1/12 scale had good bottom end on that and not just hand-waving.

Josh has a direct comparison, so I'll go with his analysis of the situation.