R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Let's talk modified 1/12
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2016, 04:15 AM
howardcano
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
Sadly the average age for those participating on this forum is 40+. That's the real problem for RC racing, especially on-road.
This is one of the few metrics by which I am far above average.

Originally Posted by syndr0me
This is probably a question for Howard: Can motors be detuned with ESC programming in a way that can be easily duplicated and consistent across brands like blinky? Could the idea of a rev limiter, or some kind of performance limiter be baked into ESC firmware? Thinking something like mod blinky that's detuned significantly, but consistently. Perhaps that could open the door to going spec ESC profile but still leave motors and batteries unmolested.
That's certainly possible. It could be as simple as an acceleration limit, i.e. a maximum ramping rate of 10,000rpm per second (or some other suitable number). And we've already discussed RPM limits.

The difficulty is testing and approving the performance. Some manufacturers already have an issue with the test fee for Blinky. I can imagine the response when the fee goes up by a factor of five or more!

An alternative would be to get one manufacturer to do something similar, and then use that one spec ESC.

But I don't think any of these ideas fit the concept of a class called "modified".

I do like the idea of a battery energy limit (probably best accomplished via a maximum battery weight) and much longer races. Making tires and battery charge last for 20+ minutes sounds like a challenge.

Keep in mind, my observations come from a person who could never possibly race modified unless crash helmets were provided for the marshalls.