R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Let's talk modified 1/12
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2016, 02:14 PM
PutAwayWet
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm not sure what I think yet, but I do want to call out some BS that seems baked into this discussion.

It's this idea that limiting the motor will turn Mod 1/12th into a motor and battery war like high-wind spec racing.

I defy anyone who participated in the Mod 1/12th glory days I've heard so much about, when it was 8 minutes of extreme tension to not dump, that there was not a motor and battery battle going on at all times. I guarantee that there was a frenzied bench effort for voltage and efficiency, getting more and more maniacal the further up the sheet you looked.

At some point the definition of Mod 1/12th morphed to mean "indifference to motor and battery." When? And why must that expectation prevail going forward?

Sure, 6.5-turns will reintroduce some amount of motor and battery tuning into the contest. But a 6.5 is a lot of motor. Way more than the next fastest normal option at 13.5. Given half a season, Mod 1/12th at 6.5/blinky is going to be fast fast fast--still the fastest car on the track by a wide margin and requiring exquisite throttle control to be good.

And maybe a few more people will try it.

Maybe some of those battery and motor masters hanging out in the Stock fields! Wouldn't that be something?