R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Attention Veteran RD's; Newer RD searching for advice!
Old 08-10-2016, 07:09 PM
buster8787
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ColinH
Hey Buster,

I RD in Edmonton. Done the last two OCD's for them. Just saw you are from Calgary. You are coming to september OCD i hope?

Jim; I consider myself to be consistent. The ONLY people I am lenient on is the newcomers who have only been a couple times, who haven't quite wrapped their head around everything yet, and that IMO is what a good RD should do. The new guys I am mentioning have been here from late last year, and know darn well what the rules are.

1812; We mention it every drivers meeting, the club pres usually holds the meeting, people take him a little more serious because I am a younger kid. But, at the end when I say I'm calling penalties, this is your only warning today, he gets right in there and says what this guy says, goes, respect it. I have the entire exec on my side, always telling me its my race. Run 'my' Race they say.

We do have an impound table, however no one ever uses it. Which is hilarious, because they ALL put their cars on it at the end of the race to turn the electronics off, then mope back to their pits, then put the batteries on charge, then mope on to the track.

I will start implementing a time limit, I think that would be a good idea. At our large race beginning and end of each year, we ran 3 minutes between heats, with a 5 minute between for transition from electric to nitro, then 3 from nitro to nitro, and 3 from nitro to electric. I think that is more than fair, especially because the table is track side, and there is pit guys for the Nitro's that can take their stuff back to the pits.

I appreciate the input, I was 100% at a loss last week, maybe this week ill pull the "you have literately three minutes.... if not theres going to be a penalty" line.

I have noticed some guys do not care if they lose a lap because they are "fast" and are two laps up on the field. So i do not bring what type of penalty it is into scenario until it is actually taking place.

The word Penalty is taken very loosely here. lol
I most likely will make it to your next race. We always have a bit of a party there on Saturday and Sundays are a bit.....quiet..lol.

You were asking how some clubs seem to operate and "the Hank" was one of the bigger entry races I have been to. I ran 2 electric cars and my heats were pretty much back to back. You basically got to have 2 warmup laps and line up the next race. I thought it worked well. But then it was like 6 hours between heats after that. Not much u can do other than keep the program rolling. At your race, maybe 60 entries or so, this isn't so bad but Spokane had somewhere around 250 so this had to be done or it would have been a 24 hr operation...lol.

Penalties? If they don't care, they don't care. But if no marshalls, no race and you wait. The drivers have to police themselves. Hold up the race until they get out here and let it be known over the pa who you are waiting on. Ty Tessman was always one of the first marshalls out at our races and was also one of the first ones to volunteer. When you race rc, marshalling is part of the price of admission. I guess that's all I have.

You should think about The Hank next year. Not many from here went this year but almost a dozen the year before. We could all caravan down there.

You guys gotta do the funky tire race again this year

Last edited by buster8787; 08-10-2016 at 07:24 PM.