R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Drifting cars
Thread: Drifting cars
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2016, 03:08 AM
Aw11Clown
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ThePanda
for somebody who is new/ doesnt know if they will like drifting I would not recommend a 700 dollar kit. I would liken that to a new driver buying a ferrari because an F1 driver says they are "some of the best cars on the road". In the hands of a novice it is not going to be any faster than say a mid range BMW and it will be harder to setup and much more expensive to repair.

I would start with a basic tamiya kit. TB04/ta06/tt02, etc. they can drift just fine in 50/50 and if you don't like drift they are easy to setup for driving around just in a parking lot. not to mention that the really high end kits need perfectly groomed surfaces, and preferably do best on scale drift tracks, such as on road double deck touring car kits. .

the only time i would recommend starting with a top of the line kit would be if you planned to race either 1/10 or 1/8 offload or on road 1/12, 1/10/ 1/8 scale, and you already have previous rc experience, knowing exactly what you are getting into.
Wouldn't recommend a tto2 etc at all. The rtr mst kits aren't much more and are much better not to mention upgrades. the entry kits are a little more than a d4. These days there is no reason to go for anything other than a mst/yokomo/overdose. You don't have to spend a lot to go drifting these days if you don't want to. The newer gen rwd kits aren't as surface dependant as the earlier ones either.