R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - HPI RS4 Sport 3
Thread: HPI RS4 Sport 3
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2016, 09:15 PM
deljaso
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by wareagle84
Abrupt starting and stopping, especially with the powerful Flux motor is hard on plastic gears. The slightest misalignment with the gears will increase wear rate exponentially. I've found HPI RTR's aren't always meshed properly out of the box, as with the bodies not being properly trimmed or a screw loose here and there. Not sure who they get to build the RTR's or where QC is.
Unfortunately the stock spur gears released with this chassis are notoriously easy to strip. Upgrade to a better quality gear or even a metal gear if you don't mind the extra noise. Make sure the gears mesh properly (adjust with a normal weight paper between them) and avoid mashing the throttle and going straight from forward to reverse.
Ahhhhhhh, that would be what I did -- a couple of reverse slides to full throttle to slide it around. Thanks for the advice! I hope I don't have the motor mounted too tightly.
I just reread the thread, I didn't realize how many people were complaining about stripping the gears. I only noticed the dogbone issues. I checked that before running, and mine have very little/no play in them -- so I'm good on that front.
It still does have the steering issue. I trim it one way and then have to trim it the other way after driving for a couple of minutes.

This car is great though, I'm not going to be doing any racing so the steering thing is a minor annoyance. I can't wait until I can find a very wide open parking lot to try it out at full speed. Popped one tire's bead when bench testing full throttle with the speed gears and a 3s. Those tires start looking like pancakes!

What I thought was low speed gear slippage seems to match youtube videos of standard brushless low speed stutter, so I think I may have it adjusted alright. My son and I are just paranoid of that slipping/skipping sound, haha.