R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - ABC Gambado/Grid
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2016, 07:01 PM
otaku521
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 32819toon
Looks like some racers like the friction shocks, are the oil ones worth the extra cost ?
The tub chassis car and metal gears and shafts, plus spare shocks saves $100 over buying the Naked cfrp car. I'm really undecided on this.
IMHO oil ones are worth it because it helps the car from hopping while cornering (you will see the rear of the car skips up and down while entering and exiting tight turns... and the friction ones got a lot of dirt and grime after each run and you might have to take it apart to clean it out and refill at the end of each day - which is even more "PITA" (Also you might need to inspect after each run if any damper grease have been leaked out or uneven because of the dirt/grime added which made the car unbalance)

you can however be like me and upgrade along the way... but at the end would probally spend more than getting the rcmart edition.

Here is what I would suggest if you wanted to go thru my route:
1)Get the regular car kit and RE-assemble completely (because the diff and dampers are not filled in the "ARTR" kit)
2) Fill the Diff with putty or 1mil or 500k Hudy Oil (I am using putty)
2a) Or you can get the ball diff which IMHO is better built than the gear diff
3) get the oil dampers for front and rear (they are sold in pairs) Fill it with a thicker than touring car normal running damper oil (depending on track or you can see my references in previous posts to start) (IE: for me my Xray T4 is running at 400 cst / my ABC will be running @ 600 cst)
3) get different springs for each different track conditions (regular car kit comes with black springs which are too hard IMHO) Red, Yellow, Perhaps Blue as well
4) If you are running a faster motor (faster than 17.5 IMHO) you might need the thicker optional motor plate and fasten it with counter sink screws (see my previous post) or else the standard silver ones will easily tweak in crashes and might chew gears easily
5) The car itself IMHO cannot sustain more than 13.5 NA (Non-Boost, Non-Turbo) IMHO - I have seen ppl running at 8.5 before... but I don't think the gears can last very long...

Last edited by otaku521; 05-17-2016 at 03:19 AM.