R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Old 05-13-2016, 05:57 AM
Gearhead82
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by freezeframe007
With all this discussion about hub position and traction, I have to ask a silly question. Pardon me in advance for the rookie inquiry

As I understand it; most setup (nearly all best I can tell) are two sided. In other words, it you make a change of some sort...it has a positive impact and a shortfall/sacrifice. Following this post, it appears moving the posts forward is an exception and merely increases traction. If that is the case, why wouldn't AE's stock setup have you build with the spacers behind the arm (assuming that is how you get the arms forward)? Secondly, wouldn't you always want that configuration if there is no down side? Lastly, wouldn't this same logic apply to the T5m and SC5m which use the same spacers and configuration?

Are there any circumstances where you would not want this increased traction without having to sacrifice something else?
Well, you're shortening the wheelbase, which is going to make the car less stable when the track is bumpy and it's going to make it more prone to switching directions quickly (good and bad) and harder to control when you get sideways, etc. Also, you're changing the weight balance so there will be more weight over the rear axle, but also more weight sticking out behind the rear axle, which will take weight off the front wheels, making the car more likely to understeer. So just like everything else, it is a trade-off.