R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0 Kit Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2016, 12:02 AM
Thunder Trail
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by deceit
hello, i recently got a losi scte, .. i ran it twice and it burned both batteries positives... any ideas?
Lots of good advice here. Many different opinions. Your best bet for successfully finding and fixing whatever the problem is would be to visit your local track. Find a guy racing the same truck and let him look it over. Show him your truck and lipos. Explain what happen and that you need some help. Someone will be able to figure out the problem or problems in short order. That's the best way to fix it without going in circles buying parts or lipos you may or may not need.

Here are some things to think about. Remove pinion gear and make sure everything rolls smooth with very little drag. Check motor bearings and the kevlar wrap on the rotor. Check ESC settings. Timing should be 0 for the 4pole motor. The Castle ESCs I have worked with are set at 10 degrees stock. I don't think the Castle software in the ESC is a perfect match for the Tekin motor though. I tested the Tekin 4600 and 4300 motors with Castle ESC. Everyone will have a different experience to share, but both Tekin motors ran about 20 degrees hotter on the Castle than they did with a Tekin RX8 ESC. Always Temp gun new or new to you motors and batteries so you know your not cooking something. Run a few laps, check it. If good, run it 5 minutes and check it. If good, check it after 8-10 minutes on the next lipo after it cools off. Then you know if something needs to be changed before it burns down. Temp gun is your friend.

Races are 5 to 10 minutes just about everywhere. I use a motor fan. Still, aggressive driving in a 10 minute main will put motor heat at 180 on hot 100 degree summer days. I would not run high performance race motors and lipos all the way to lipo Low Voltage Cut off. The Tekin Pro4 HD 4300 motor is one of the best full on race motors for 4wd SCT. It makes lots of power and heat. This class is hard on lipos and electronics so best to just run the race time and not push it to the limit. If you want to run every time to lipo cutoff, buy a Castle 3800 motor to match the ESC and run it till it hits LVC. Its quick and a bulletproof system.

The 4300 has great power, but I have never run it on a pinion gear larger than 15t for big 1/8 size tracks. 14t seems right 80 percent of the time. With a fan, all bearings clean, no binding in driveline and motor bearings in good shape. You should be able to run it 8-10 minutes on a 7200mah lipo without melting or overheating anything.

With all that said, I think your problem is going to be a couple of things. First, connectors. I love solid 4mm bullet connectors. I replace them often to keep good contact. Dry Teflon lube keeps them working good for me if they are too tight. If they don't fit tight they get HOT, 900 degrees HOT! That melts solder, puffs lipos and burns plastic connectors that help maintain contact. If there is a bad solder joint or connection, that is where the heat will be.

Good luck and welcome back to the fun RC you have been missing.