R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - HPI RS4 Sport 3
Thread: HPI RS4 Sport 3
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2016, 02:02 PM
maslin
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cudacharger
maslin- Still running stock servo and tracks like a bullet. Exotek turnbuckles and YR steering alum upgrades fix the wandering issues.
Both on the way. This is the RC I said I wouldn't be spending money on

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
Every time I have had random left/right wandering while accelerating, it was because the chassis needed a rear swaybar to make the rear suspension squat evenly when the weight transfers to the rear during acceleration. Then, of course, it needs a front swaybar too, to counteract the oversteer effect from stiffening the rear suspension. I don't know if there are swaybars available for the RS4 3 Sport; if there aren't, the only other solution would be to install stiffer springs and accept the tradeoff of a harsher ride.

On the other hand, if it's wandering while cruising at a constant speed, that suggests it needs toe-in (or less toe-out) in the front. If it's wandering when coasting or braking, that suggests it needs toe-out (or less toe-in) at the front -- also a fix for super-twitchy steering. If the wandering is actually caused by the rear stepping-out, then it's the the *rear* wheels that need more toe-in.

All of this assumes the steering moves freely when disconnected from the steering servo, and the servo itself has no detectable slop. (some cheap servos do have slop, even if they have metal gears.)
The servo is tight, brand new Savox 1251, with a metal arm. Lots of play from the stock steering linkage, ball bearing YR setup is on the way. It's not wandering around while driving, just constantly changing the steering center. Adjust it to go straight, 2 minutes later it pulls right. Adjust again, 2 minutes later it pulls left. Hit a bump, pulls right again

Removing the servo saver helped quite a bit, but it's still there.