R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TRF414M, 404x, 414, 414X
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2002, 05:27 PM
JimmyMac
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Oh, one note though about comparing it with other cars like a TC3, XXX-S, Yok SP. The diffs are alot harder to get to. Yes they are open. But you have to take the bulk head completely off to get the diff out. (unless if someone found another way around this. ) My my TC3, just 6 screws and I can wiggle out my diff. Same with the XXX-S. Getting to a 414 diff is alot like getting to a Yokomo diff. Spur changes are alot easier though for the 414 against those 3 cars. Everything else would be about the same (replacing arms, caster blocks, etc.)

Only thing with the 414 also is if you go with saddle packs. You have to tape or velcro them in. Plus being careful not to short them out when putting them in. I'd also say space can be tight for electronics. But I have all my stuff mounted on deck. So not issue for me with any of those cars.

Kit comes with top of the line stuff. Much like the FTTC3 and Yok Special. XXX-S you have to buy everything like Graphite conversion etc. All kits you need to buy tuning springs, so that can't be counted against it. Tuning it though is something to thing about. TC3 and XXX-S have good starting tips with what does when you change anti squat, shock angle, etc. The 414 doesn't really say much at all. I guess you are suppose to know this already since it's an experienced racers kit. You can just apply the TC3 or XXX-S knowledge to the 414. Same rules apply.

Parts, I mail order all my parts anyways. But if you like to buy locally, then it may be a plus or minus for you. Parts are easy to get for it (to a point), as it shares many parts from a TAO-4 I beleive. Tower carries those parts as well as SpeedTechRC and other places.

TC3 has a good long history of setups. Yokomo and XXX-S has a few. The 414 I'm having trouble finding some. But they are out there. Hmmm durabilty... I dunno yet. But it seems strong! My TC3 and XXX-S were weak compared to my Yokomo. So we'll see. I have spare parts just incase. I hope I don't have to find out!

Anyways, those are just some of my opinions/comparisons of the kits. Any more questions just let us know. Hope I can get it to work tomorrow!

Jimmy Mac