R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Castle XLX vs. XL2
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2016, 11:20 AM
tc4basher
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by drivejumpfly
I called Castle today also to find out the details. The guy was honest with me and told me that yes they do limit power and Castle is aware of the video that was posted comparing the ESCs. He had to give me the company line that they did this because people were pushing the ESCs beyond what they were designed for so they modified them. It makes sense I get it. If I ran a business I would not want to back warranty claims from speed run guys like myself that plan to push them until they fry. He hinted at a software release that might give us more power but he could not give any details out or a timeline. I get that too. This reminds me of Traxxas' stance on the X-Maxx ESCs.

The bottom line is this - Castle should make us sign something that shows we agree that we cannot file for a warranty replacement if we press the unlock button to let the XLX loose with all of the power we can put through it.
I doubt any firmware update that may or may not come out will restore the 80% power difference (2 hp vs 10 hp) that I experienced between the 2 ESCs. They are just buying time by saying they may come out with a power restoring update.

An unlock button that voids the warranty would work. Anything is better than this gutless POS XLX I got tricked into buying.