R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya XV-01
Thread: Tamiya XV-01
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2016, 05:13 PM
Metal One
Tech Regular

2nd run where it counts, in front of the house.

I've got relatively new. clean and smooth pavement in front, wrapping 90 degrees around my front yard where it drops off to much older and more pitted pavement with gravel driveways connecting to it. The drop is only 1/8" to 1/4" high across the road but it's enough to send a touring car tumbling. The gravel doesn't help much either. The nice thing is that I can see to the end of the street in both directions so traffic has never been an issue. That bump though, is an issue. It wasn't always there but when the city repaved the street, they stopped right in front of the house and never finished the other direction. Jerks...

So for the past few years, I haven't been able to run touring cars in the street. Those days are over with the XV-01. It handles the bump with ease and barely makes a sound when it hits it, then it continues around the turn as if nothing happened. As I mentioned earlier, when a touring car hits that bump, even with the highest suspension settings, the front lip will scrape and bounce the car, sending it flying or tumbling. Either way, it's not good and I do not have that problem with the XV-01.

Speed! This is where I usually feel the need for a little more speed. I've got plenty of road in both directions on both sides of the curve and can let them rip in these sections. Even on 2S with the Castle 1406-4600 it's still plenty fast enough to get out of sight in only a few seconds so I'm very happy with how fast this car is and how cool it runs after 15 minutes of long passes up and down the street and through the turn with only the slightest lift off the throttle. If I do ever want more speed, my 3S 5000 70C pack fits pretty easily. That will make it scream.

This car is just brilliant.