R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray X1 - Formula One Car
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2016, 05:01 AM
XraySupport
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Dan
The big one for me was caster. Less caster angle, he is right that it is more reactive, but more susceptible to traction rolling. You get more initial turn-in but it will run wider on corner exit.

More caster angle, less initial steering, less likely to traction roll. Slower initial turn-in but will tighten up better on exit of the turn.

More camber angle also doesn't necessarily mean more steering. Ackerman, both positions and he claims improves cornering speed? Ok, which is which? Toe-in should never be used as well.

Chassis options. 2.0mm graphite, increases in-corner steering? Not true, but yes, more traction. 2.0mm aluminum is copied straight off of X-ray marketing with no explanation. It doesn't really increase traction. It is used primarily for high traction conditions, makes the car more consistent and predictable, less likely to traction roll, and removes some steering bite if you left other settings as-is. I've had experience with both chassis'.

Rear pod droop, more pod droop does not make the car turn in harder. Does the opposite actually.

Anyways, I could go on. I'm not an expert but I've been driving F1 cars long enough to know what does what. Some areas he is right, but some areas it is wrong.
We have checked the X1 set-up instructions and all information is correct for general purposes. Of course in some very specific track conditions some of the details may slightly vary but overall the information is correct.