R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray T4 2016
Thread: Xray T4 2016
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2016, 08:56 AM
yifuqiao
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by maris
I've had my '16 T4 to couple of our local club races and couple training sessions. We race on carpet and while I don't have anything to compare to I'd call it medium grip at best. Stock carpet setup was descent but main problem was that rear of car was sliding out very easy. So, I tried to make rear softer by removing rear sway bar, moving top of rear shocks all the way in and increased droop both rear and front to about 3.2mm. It's quite easy to drive it now when traction is right. I love driving it when everything feels right

So, some questions:
- what droop is everybody using? Stock setup when following downstop measurement, I got droop around 2mm which to me was very difficult to drive, car was sliding around. Does 3.2mm sound about rigth or way too much?
- I'm still trying to find best tire additive. Currently using Hudy Carpet Gripper with CPX2 carpet tires. Can there be such thing as too much additive? Last race I had feeling that one or two of first sessions grip was perfect, but in some of later sessions it felt as if I had less grip. I applied additive around 30-20 min before sessions (about 40-50 min between sessions) and it didn't dried until start. Could it be that tires are soaked with additive from start of day and you should put less at the end of day or maybe put it on only every second session?
- I had 34 pinion/84t spur. FDR 4.7. LRP X20 13.5t motor. With this ration driving was very fun, no sliding But motor temperature was kind of high - 90C/195F. So, I went to 33 pinion. Which lowered temperature, but car was more difficult to drive as had to be more careful with throttle (which I wasn't). Others are even running FDR 5.2 so I'm thinking I have to go even lower on pinion. Any suggestion on how to calm down a car? I'm considering Expo and/or Speed on throttle in transmitter (Sanwa MT4S).
I haven't measure the droop , but the down stop I am using is kit recommended F6/R5
My setup is very close to base carpet setup, but depending on the traction, I will make slight adjustment here and there.
I am actually in the process of getting more steering out of my T4, I can't believe you can get it tail happy with stock setup.

Tire sauce can definitely be a problem. After you sauces you tire, initial few laps are gonna be very twitchy. You just need to run the "black" area in your track, once the traction is gained after a few laps, you should be able to push it.