R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Durango DEX210 Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2016, 10:37 AM
WallyRC
Tech Addict

Default New front shock tower

Originally Posted by fredswain
In my ongoing quest to find the correct amount of suspension up travel I've been using the truck front tower for a while with the 210v2 rear shocks on the front and white series springs. The handling is good but that's a lot of mass up high, not to mention a greater risk of breaking a tower in a crash. Going back to the shorter front shocks certainly alleviates some of the strength concerns but at the expense of full suspension up travel.

Since the 210 suspension is a carbon copy of the B4 geometry (which is the same as the B3 and now the B5), I decided to see if the B4 or B5 suffered from this same issue. They don't, which is weird. That really means that something is going on with the shocks. I took a set of Associated big bores and installed them on the front of my 210 and low and behold, it had enough up travel. I didn't however try them with bladders installed which is the only way I'll run my shocks but they do have more travel than the Durango shocks. Another thing I've noticed is that B5 steering hubs have no slop or play in them whatsoever. The Durango however do. I've also been fighting with bump steer on this car from day one. By the time I fix everything on this car to make me happy, it'll be an entirely different car.

I find the process a bit fun but at the same time frustrating. In the 80's I tried everything under the sun to make my RC10 do what I wanted. I finally just replaced it with a JRX2 and everything was right in the world. I wonder when I'll finally give in with this car?
Fred, I hear ya loud and clear. But I do love this car as well. What if somebody could design a new front shock tower: 4 mm higher than the v2, go with the 23 mm stroke and 44mm shaft. Instead of 21.5 mm stroke and 42.5mm shaft. We should gain roughly 3mm of uptravel if I calculate that correctly. Should still be able to use bladders. Maybe somebody know someone at diggity designs or has access to milling machine.

As for steering rack. I saw someone on here, I think Micholix bolted in the B5 rack directly. Just need to figure out how to mount servo.
Just some thoughts.