R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tekno RC SCT410.3 Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2016, 04:57 PM
justpoet
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slowrider
Really funny, because I was a bit unsure regarding my decision 3s vs. 4s. So I wrote an email to the european distributor for Tekno. I got an email just a couple of minutes ago. His advice:

3S, Tekin RX8 Gen2, Tekin Pro4HD 3000KV, 15 to 16t pinion, 4500 to 5000 LIPO Are you the guy who wrote me back? (just kidding).

Seems to be a good start for me. Thanks also for the other hints (straps ect.).

Unfortunately there are not many 3S Hardcase LIPOs with this capa available to me - there is almost no chance to ship LIPOs from US to EU (especially to Switzerland, strict lows), so either I invest in LRP 3s 4500 LIPOs (around 100 USD) or I go with Softcase LIPOs (remember, I do not need to follow race rules).

--OT--
Is it still this (excuse me) silly race rule that most of you use Hardcase LIPOs? From a security point of view: to me it makes no sense. All of our RC Heli Lipos (and we talk about 12 to 14S with 5000mAh means a lot of energy) are Softcase Lipos with some Alu "plates" between the Cells - and I had really hard crashes (speed, 200km/h) and so fare not one LIPO was on fire (sure, for security reasons unsuable anymore)... Or are there other reasons to use Hardcase LIPOs?
--OT--

Sure, thats true, but for now -> no race. And just in case: That is then a reason to get a new Tekno .

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your advices for a newbie!
Hardcase helps, especially in off road. Various bits of stuff can fly off of tires or into vehicles at higher speeds, and our lipos almost always get abrasions on the surfaces from random sand and such. Unlike in the air, we can pelt our batteries with rocks and similar. Additionally, in a huge crash on the ground, you're likely to do a lot less damage to the vehicle than when something falls out of the sky, so having a little bit of weight is not bad to help protect from that. I won't be running a non-hardcase in any of my vehicles. That being said, for most it is because of rules.

For 3s, I would look for something like this SMC 5000, which will be slightly larger than a 2s stick pack, but won't require replacing the velcro straps. Alternatively, this SMC 7200 would be a larger 3s pack that would give all kinds of run time, but be a bit heavier and normal 4s size, so would require the 4s-6s velcro strap change.

This ProMatch 6500mah pack may also be worth researching as they do discounted international shipping (though I don't know if the shipping is reasonable or not).