R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0 Kit Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2016, 07:18 PM
Josh L
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Looking at the shock pistons in my original 12mm SCTE 2.0 shocks, and comparing them to a friend's 22 shocks, it seems they are considerably thicker in height than the 22 series. But how much I am not exactly sure, but it looks to be roughly half a mm difference without actual calipers.
What was the reasoning behind the thicker piston to begin with?
Was it to help with extended shaft stability being that the SCTE shock was longer, or to increase volume to create more pack?
Or both?
Reason being, when reading back on one of Casper's post discussing comparability from these and the new 22 pistons I recall him stating a certain 22 piston being the equivalent to to one of the older numbered pistons relevant to hole size.
But with a thickness increase, what would the offset formula be roughly to account for the thickness flow values of one thinner and one thicker?

Also, wouldn't it make more sense to have stayed with a thicker piston to negate wear and retain a better consistency from shaft bind to get a more consistent vertical slide?
If not, please explain how this wouldn't matter?
I unfortunately don't have the 22 shocks to test things, but I do know that with a VRP piston that is said to be equal to the 22 thickness, there is considerably more shaft flex when they are installed in my original 2.0 shocks.

Further more, can you buy the old thicker piston blanks, and if so will they still fit the newer 22 shaft and still provide enough thread bite and top clearance for the lock nut?