R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray XB4 thread
Thread: Xray XB4 thread
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2016, 11:24 AM
LAGuy
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Bent had posted track widths based on Xray hexes and 12mm wheels. He’s also posted hex widths in the XB2 forum. That’s been incredibly helpful! As well as all your other setup help. Thanks Bent!

I was in a similar situation when I purchase my ’15 followed by my ’16. What wheels and hexes can I use?

I race on a low to medium outdoor dirt track and wanted to be able to match team widths while I learned how to setup this buggy. No one at my track has an XB4 but me, so I was an island. So I just measured a few wheels at the hobby shop. My caliper makes a small hole in the back of the package and the owner didn’t mind. Now I just use my ruler to measure new wheels and to establish a baseline and adjust from there. I will use different hexes and/or 0.5mm axle shims to adjust.

This is what I have so far:

Xray 14mm Wheels – Offsets: Front - 22mm / Rear - 24.5mm (Haven’t received my 12mm Xray wheels yet, they’re back ordered)

Kyosho 56mm Flush 4wd Front Wheel (ZX5 SP & FS) (W5201) - 24.5mm Offset (HUGE offset! Makes the front-end very narrow)

Proline 2.2" Rears (#2736) - 26mm Offset

DE Racing Speedline Buggy Wheels:

Front - DER-SB-K40 (Laser ZX-5) – 22mm (Same!)
Rear - DER-SB-ARO (B4.2/B44.2/TLR22) - 26mm (This is a flush wheel)
Rear - DER-SB-KRO (Kyosho RB6/ ZX-5) - 26mm (This wheel has a coned in exterior. Lots of axle thread to work with)

I use DE ZX-5 fronts with Exotec 5.5 hexes and a 0.5mm shim on each wheel and DE DER-SB-ARO on the rear with Exotec 7mm for a 244mm front & 243mm rear. Buggy is starting to work decent. I ordered all the medium parts to get a bit more mechanical grip/stability. If you want to match what Bent’s posted, use 9mm rears (247mm) & add an additional 0.5mm shim in front (245mm).

XB4 is a great car. Quality and durability are fantastic! With that said, out of the box, it is more of a high grip car. Ordering all the medium parts in addition to the center shafts to move the motor rear ward makes it more of a “Dirt Version”. Maybe Xray wasn’t expecting how popular their wheeler would be with guys like me running outdoor loose dirt. But they seem to have applied this lesson with the XB2 and releasing two versions.

I expect the XB4 ’17 or ’18 will come in two versions as well or simply include the medium and hard pieces (Like the XB2 Carpet Car) as well as the additional driveshaft’s.