R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray XB2 2WD Buggy Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2015, 01:05 PM
BentKa
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Saturn V
None. You'll have to buy hexes to make any 2.4 wheel the correct offset.

I have the same issue. The tires that work at my local track aren't made in 2.2. I assume they made the XB2 wheels weird offsets to fit their standard hexes. The factory option hexes are a few pages back (I think +2.25 rear and -.75 front is suitable for associated offsets). I'll be buying exotek 9mm (+3) rears and calling the front good. This kit is a great value but I won't be spending $40 to fix the offsets.
The European Federation (EFRA) is pushing for a standardized offset and wheel dimension for the 1/10 buggy class just like they have for 1/10 Touring cars and 1/8th buggy.

Xray have decided to stay a few steps ahead of this so the wheels and choice of offsets are not a coincidence

When we attended the IFMAR worlds in Japan we witnessed a ton of drivers from the big brands cutting and sanding their wheels to get them through tech inspection while all the Xray drivers with stock wheels all passed without issues

A few benefits with the Xray 12mm hex wheels are:
  • Softer for improved traction
  • Do not crack
  • Offer a wide tuning range for different track widths due to the offset used.
  • Holds up very good when using acetone to re-use wheels.
  • Cheap when bought in 10-packs.
  • Hexes seat deep and very firm into the hub of the rim eliminating any problems with the hexes rounding out the wheel hub.

Bent