R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - MUGEN MGT7 Super Touring ECO
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2015, 11:24 AM
tc4basher
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rnelias
Contacted Mugen asking about the recent change in the MGT7 eco motor mounts. In the first version, Mugen re-used the same motor mount employed in MBX7 buggy (E2122A/B). As an offroad car, pinions smaller than 18T are more than enough since they usually relies on torque instead of final speed. However, it seems they woke up and redesigned the part in MBX7T (E2141A/B). The new part has a bigger clearance area for the screws and, now, will accept bigger pinions. They even updated the MGT7's manual with the new motor mount. The problem is that previous owners now will have to buy this new motor mount (~50 USD or 10% or the kit retail price) if they want to use pinions bigger than 18T. According to Mugen, it was not a design flaw -- of course, they would never know an onroad car would need more final speed. Yes, I'm being sarcastic here. The reply I've got was arrogant. The representative just said Mugen knows what's best for their cars they design and MGT7 would not need pinions bigger than 18T (so, why do they updated the car???)
Just replace the stock center diff with a spool and run 8mm pinions as spurs and make the holes on mount a little bigger so you can slide the motor outward a few more millimeters like I did with the early motor mount.

I can fit at least a 37t PINION with a 26t SPUR. I have gotten my MGT7 up to 140 mph on 8s with 37P/29S.

https://youtu.be/eO8JU1v83jg

Here is a 139 mph pass. Check out my other vids too of this wonderful car.