R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TB Evo 6
Thread: Tamiya TB Evo 6
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2015, 06:43 AM
theproffesor
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

So three race weekends (350+ laps between practice, quals, and the mains) on the Exo6 and I thought time for a partial teardown.

Diff still butter smooth and when I popped open the bulkhead, almost no oil leakage was present. I expected some as every gear diff I have ever built leaks a little on the first run or two, but then will stop once settled in. I have heard of issues with Tamiya diffs, but I don't seem to have them.

All the suspension parts are still slop free, no extra shimming required, and the shocks still feel great. A little slop has developed in the steering rack, but nothing more than I have seen on other chassis. I believe new bearings would correct it, but as long as it doesn't get any worse, I'm going to leave it be.

Drivetrain has freed up nicely, with near zero backlash, and has a pretty good spin time to it once the motor is removed. The only part that needed replacing was the outer bearing in the right rear hub. It had gotten gritty, but that's normal for me as that tire has a nasty habit of slamming sideways directly into the wall.

This car is a great car. Once the front hubs are replaced with the ones from the TA05, it is extremely durable.

I am working on a new carpet set-up for the new CRC black carpet. My current set-up sent the car straight into a traction roll (even low speed). I think part of it is my tire prep and over saucing my tires, so I going to alter that as well, but to get the car around the track I moved front and rear upper shocks out a couple holes, stiffened the front sway bar, and turned my steering expo down to 70% and I still couldn't drive hard into the corners.

I think everyone is going to have to rethink this new carpet. It's great. But it will take some tweaking.