R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2015, 12:42 PM
motorcitymatt
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I ran my 3.0 in our local club race on Wednesday night. It was pretty much a revolving door at my pit table as a lot of people were checking it out and asking questions. Most of them left impressed and some were saying they planned on picking one up. I let a friend drive it who had been considering one since the announcement and he was sold by the time he gave it back.

The track here is med-high bite damp clay and the tires of choice are slicks. The layout was new and sometimes a very low pin is more consistent on a green track but it got well watered through the night so the slicks stayed on. The new layout is quite technical so most people run nearly the same 5 minute time with a 17.5 or a 7.5.

I run a very dialed and upgraded/optioned 3-gear B5M in stock and do quite well with it. Despite my better judgement I ran the 22 3.0 in mod and the B5M in stock as I had been. Usually with a new car I'll do the opposite until I feel like it is dialed in. I ended up beating my best five minute time by 6 seconds with the 3.0. I tied my fast lap. I think that is pretty impressive given the car was coming straight out of the box against a car I have a lot of laps and tuning hours with.

Subjectively the car feels quite balanced. Plenty of steering all around but it also felt very locked in out back. The car generates a lot of forward bite as I had a tough time keeping the front of the car down on the straight. Unless I rolled the throttle on carefully it would wheelie. The car also has more of an aggressive feeling vs the B5M w/ 3-gear. Some of this was probably due to all the extra power of the 8.5 I had in it but I am going to go practice with it using a 17.5 and I will have a better picture. I know the guys who run a B5M in mod with the 3 gear typically run a brass or steel suspension hanger to help put the power down. I was expecting the same given the 3.0 has a 3 gear tranny too but I had no issues at all in that department. The only thing I am considering changing from the box setup is maybe going to a 1.6mm piston in front. Our track is on the bumpier side and I feel like the front end was bouncing around a little more than I would like.

In summary I am really a fan of this car. I don't think there is anything magic about it but on med-high bite you are not going to have any excuses for not winning, straight out of the box. I would say 85-90% of people in both mod and stock run B5Ms here. I think this car is defintely going to move the needle back for TLR. At $329 it is an excellent value considering it needs nothing added to it to be competitive.