R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated SC5M Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2015, 11:30 AM
QDRHRSE
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jakeb
Quick question...

What's the handling change or ride characteristic of running 0 offset wheels vs the +3 offset wheels? Are there any 'yes definitely run 0 wheels' in certain cases?

Thanks!

Jake
You will reduce your track width by 6mm. I'm not sure about the physics of it other than you're making the truck more top heavy by raising the roll center. Its not necessarily the worst thing that you could do but my truck feels better wider and I don't think it needs any additional steering. If traction is low and you can afford to raise the roll center it might not be that bad. I dunno. I'd just stick with the +3s.

I read up. What I found is that wider track will tend to reduce the load transfer to the outside when cornering, which in general will increase cornering power since you'll be able to get more traction from the inside tires. So once again, increasing the track will tend to reduce understeer.....so making the car narrower will increase understeer. Contrary to what I thought it might actually reduce steering. Last, by narrowing the truck you will also change the balance front to rear as you change the ratio of width & length.

Last edited by QDRHRSE; 11-23-2015 at 11:43 AM.