R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0 Kit Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2015, 02:15 PM
Casper
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh L
I suppose it's safe to assume these shocks have less overall travel, hence the heavier oil weights and tighter pistons?
With a 4.1 black front to a 2.9 Orange rear is a big rate gap it seems like!
I figure this must be for a very well groomed clay track?
Prolly don't even need to use the front sway bar on that stiff of a setup.

And I know I have asked before about the 2 stage VRP pistons, but is there a reason you guys don't run them rather than just drilling single stage blanks?
I just keep hearing how many, including some professional drivers are making statements of how they feel instant improvements to rebound and over all traction. I understand you pros mostly staying brand specific, but are the claims of said improvements shown on their dyno claims not up to par or worthy of said beneficial effects in your eyes?

I plan to pick up these 22 shocks, but I would like to hear your opinions of those pistons and if any of you feel they would be a solid addition to complement them with?
SCTE racing spring set springs
Black 3.99
Orange 2.96

So we are basically in the same place as spring ratings.

As far as piston setup. Ryan and I did quite a bit of shock testing (Ryan more than me, giving credit due) but we started working with multi hole pistons and really liked how the truck would accelerate much better with this type of shock package yet still maintain good pack and roll control. Yes we mainly run on indoor clay but this setup put down fastest lap time at the recent JBRL event run on wet outdoor track so it works well on multiple surfaces. Oil went up with more holes but due to the very small holes we used pack is still there. It was finding a balance in # of holes, hole size and oil. We went through quite a few different setups over a few days of testing.

As for multi stage pistons. It is hard enough to understand single pistons but to then throw in more variables like the MIP Real shocks, or VRP or RCshox setups. Can they work/do they work. I am sure if you can spend the time figuring them out and dialing in your car they would probably be better. For the average hobbiest who barely understands a basic shock setup this is too much IMO. For the die hard racer who can spend a fair amount of time at the track and truly understands what's going on I can see some benefit to those systems but I feel basic pistons get the job done quite well and we are still always learning how to setup different cars in different conditions using a simplified shock setup. So at the end of the day if you spend enough time at the track to figure it out go for it. I bet you can find an improvement with them and I do believe in the theory behind them. I also feel it is another thing to get wrong and another piece of the puzzle you could have problems with if they are not functioning right to hurt a setup.

Oh and shock travel. Ryan worked to optimize the droop and uptravel of the 22 shock package which was a main driver for the rear tower change. The setup oil and piston changes were made for other reasons not reduced travel of the shocks.