R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tekno RC SCT410.3 Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2015, 12:08 PM
justpoet
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I want to make a general comment on suspension after reading some of the recent posts.

I've seen a lot of discussion, and some argument, as to what makes the suspension setup best. While this is a noble goal, everybody has different driving styles and tracks, which most people think they understand, but don't always really believe. I'll give a couple brief examples to illustrate, and try to explain.

The first example is one that I've had with several local racers in various places. They are hooked on the "softer suspension works better, as the suspension can do the work" line. While they're not incorrect, this has tradeoffs. Some of them LIKE those advantages (more consistent on rough, more forgiving if you roll a wheel up on a pipe or berm, etc) more than they dislike the disadvantages (slower side to side chicane type turns from letting the car roll before it digs in and turns, more likely to traction roll, needing lower ride heights to make it not roll as badly, not handling whoops and big kick/bad faced jumps as well, more abusive on missed downsides or flat landings).

I've seen people run kit setup with 1 or 2 small tweaks and LOVE it. I wasn't one of those people. I run a MUCH stiffer setup than most anybody else, and do quite well with it. I choose the opposite set of tradeoffs. I've been running stock pistons with 37.5 front and 35 rear Losi oil and Green front Yellow rear springs. It is VERY important to note though, that the shock mounting locations, both on tower and arm, aren't generally the same for the two styles of springs and damping setup. I'm also typically on smoother tracks (some low and some high traction). One size does not fit all.

Now I will give an example of the differences in driving style, and how that also affects things we're talking about. I had the opportunity to do a test and tune day with Lutz after the Nationals. We both tried various things, and tried each other's trucks. He didn't like mine and thought it couldn't turn and couldn't turn close to the same lap times as I did with my truck. I didn't like his and thought it couldn't put any power down without looping the rear end, and I couldn't make a lap on the track without at least 3 crashes. But, he could make a couple sections of the track with my vehicle every time that he didn't do as consistently with his, and I could do some things with his that I couldn't with mine. Here's the secret, it is all driving style. I late brake and turn into the corner, powering out mostly straight. He brakes into the corner and powers around it, letting the power rotate the car more. This is why I like a vastly different setup from Lutz, and why no 1 spring/piston/oil combination is a silver bullet for everybody.

Unlike some other brands, the Tekno will tune great to either driving style, so while it is AWESOME that we help each other out with what has worked for us, and AWESOME that we help suggest directions to go based on a described variance from desired handling, it is not true to say that somebody else's setup is wrong if they like what it has done for them.

Please carry on with the helpful and friendly thread and being the awesome folks that you all are!