Thread: HPI RS4 Sport 3
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2015, 09:01 PM
MikeR
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Endaar
I agree completely on all points.

With regards to the steering...I took the whole front end apart earlier today. Anywhere it was even possible something was binding I used the dremel to grind out some extra clearance. I cleaned the bearings, lubed everything, etc. The steering rack is definitely not binding. It seems to me the steering linkage is just poorly designed. I don't even think it is bump steer as the problem is clearly visible with the car stationary.

Check out this video. (You may need to download and then view; it wouldn't play in the browser for me.)

On the left is the Sport 3, with standard TC tires, an upgraded SF-50 servo, and CVDs. On the right is an RS4 Pro 3 Nitro SS, bone stock, with the same tires, and an SF-1 servo comparable to the standard one in the Sport 3.

Notice how the Sport 3 rarely finds center, while the Pro 3 always does.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...nt=video%2cmp4

I don't see any way to fix this. Are some of you not experiencing it, or are some of us just more sensitive to it?

Endaar
The video helps a lot. You can see the servo is not returning to center. It's off a couple of degrees each time you turn so I wouldn't necessarily blame the steering parts- servo does sound pretty slow and weak Is it the stock servo and is the battery charged up so that the servo gets enough power and did you tighten down the spring nut on the servo saver?

Last edited by MikeR; 09-18-2015 at 09:49 PM.