R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Old 09-09-2015, 08:01 PM
Fasttrak
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BrandonBreh
Anybody try the new reedy mach 3 17.5 short stack or even the regular one? How do you like it compared to other ones?

I have a trinity d4 17.5 maxzilla and i overheated it too many times. Time for a new one.

I run a reedy 8.5 mach 2 when i run modified and it's super smooth. I've heard that trinity is the way to go in stock and reedy in modified.

Not sure if i should get a trinity ss or the reedy ss.

So far I have only had the chance to run a Team Powers Actinium, the Trinity D4S Short Stack I bought had issues out of the box.

The Team Powers I love for it's massive torque, geared two teeth low with timing turned almost down to zero, which I think on the TP is still like 30 degrees at zero. Running it at 33\69 this last weekend gave it great corner-to-corner pull, fairly short track with short approaches to two fairly good sized jumps and the torque is useful more than an RPM type motor.

I will say I was not happy to have the Trinity come out of the box with issues but just heard back from Jim Dieter and he confirmed that the motor had issues on one of the poles and is turning the motor around ASAP, nice customer service I must say!

I am dying to get the motor back from Jim and put it through it's paces, I have a feeling it will be good since Jim will be setting it up himself and he tested each phase to see how much timing it was pulling and making the motor right with his own hands. Truly hard to beat that kind of customer service in this day and age of disposable products.

Using the Team Powers motor setup the way the instructions from my B5M and even the TP setup sheet, it was not well matched for the track I run on. They had the motor shifted to spin it up but did not leverage the massive torque it produces. Once I played with the gear ratio, started at 30\69 and worked my way up to 33\69 reducing timing to manage heat. I went from struggling to have enough pop out of the corners to clear the two big jumps to easily having the torque to pop over them with very little effort which made picking lines and driving the buggy much easier and less stressful.

If the track I was running on was a more open and longer style setup, the rpm oriented setup would be preferable, for now I am enjoying having the grunt to get around the corners and drive the torque curve. it was almost pulling a wheely coming down the straight, it had just enough to get the wheels just barely touching the ground.