R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Old 08-30-2015, 10:04 AM
Thomas PA
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by HoldDaMayo
Spent some time at the track yesterday, I had an issue with sort of extreme push that I received some advice on here. I didn't actually make too many changes, I just did two things; added some preload to the front and moved the shorty battery pack forward. I also worked my tires a little better cleaning with simple green and saucing more religiously. I cut over a second from my best lap and my average lap times were improved dramatically. I know there is some more room for improvement, but I finally felt like my driving was the limiting factor and not so much the buggy.

I'm going to work on replacing the Proline Electrons with Gold Dirtwebs on the front like I have in the rear... Although, I did think it was funny, some people told me not to mix rubber front and rear and looking at the pros at OCRC this weekend, like everyone was running mixed sets... haha... I know, I'm no pro, just a newbie trying to figure it all out, keeping it simple.

One Question:

I feel like my buggy is too heavy, I weighed in at 1565g with a trakpower 4500mah 2s shorty... Any advice for what things I can do to reduce weight? I really thought my buggy would be lighter than this. Is there any information on a list of weight saving upgrades sorted by effectiveness or a prioritized list of items that lower weight.
That's not all that heavy really. But if you're looking to get down around minimum weight (1499g), then you could knock off about 20 with an aluminum screw set, 7 with a carbon motor plate, about 8 with MIP bimetal pucks, and about 15 with a slipper eliminator. Those last 2 are assuming you're running 17.5, they're not good ideas in mod. That also assumed you already have the lite chassis. You could drop a significant amount of weight with a carbon chassis. You'll get mixed reviews for them though. 2.4 wheels and tires also drop a good bit of rotating mass.
Also, different people have different experiences with mixing rubbers. I did it all winter, and I noticed that it would lose a little steering throughout the run as the sauce wore off, so I set it up loose to begin with. Then the car would become neutral later in the main when my reaction times were fading as well. Best of luck!