R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated SC5M Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2015, 06:31 AM
celt
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hauptmann6
Has anyone switched back to a gear diff? Is it possible?
Strange you mention it...

When I built my SC5m, I knew I wanted a 3-gear immediately. Not wanting to wait to order a few extra parts for conversion (case, cover and motor-plate), I just lifted it out of one of my B5m buggy’s. Ran it in the SC5m for many races and practice sessions. I knew it was feeling tired and needed a rebuild. Before the start of the Saturday race day, I had the time to pop in the gear diff I had built up for carpet racing, and figured I'd just rebuild the ball diff in between rounds if it was too terrible.

I have one race day on it, and it was awesome, no issues at all other than a bit of on power push (5,000wt). However, as the track dried up a bit during the rest of the day, it was very enjoyable to drive. Let me say that it rained heavily all day here Saturday, so maybe the track never dried to the extent that it usually would have.

You can debate oil weights, but keep in mind, I just dropped in what I had, it felt fine and I ran with it - TQ and win with drivers at the same skill level as myself. I didn't feel the gear diff hurt me in the least. So, give it a try on a practice session. I don't think there is a lot of testing that's been done on a mid motor shortcourse and a gear diff. Who knows, maybe they compliment one another.