R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Old 08-11-2015, 12:07 PM
3srcracing
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fanatic01
Got my B5M all built and need to break in the diff. This is my first time breaking one in for a 2wd buggy and people I know have had all sorts of problems with theirs so I want to do it right the first time.

The only thing I have done is tightened thrust bolt just enough so I could no longer spin the gear by hand while holding the outdrives with two wrenches. I shyed away from tightening it all the way down and backing it off slightly like the manual says because people say you shouldn't do that. My slipper is set with the shaft flush with the nut like the manual says as well.

So far is this correct? I know a lot of people say it goes by "feel" but since I have never done it before I obviously don't know the feeling. When i hold the spur gear and spin the rear wheels it feels a little gritty but still smooth.
You still need to break in the diff, put the wheels on and spin one side of the car by holding the other side. Do this for 5-10 seconds each side a couple times, (with little throttle) and you should be set to go. Only used a little throttle when breaking it in.

Here is a better explanation: http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...er-clutch.html

Also most go by feel or the flick test. With moderate force spin each wheel opposite direction of each other, and it should turn about 1/2 turn (make a black sharpie mark on the wheel to make this easier). And you should be set to go!