R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tekno RC SCT410.3 Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2015, 07:11 PM
Wease
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)
Default Nose Diving - Solved

I've had my .3 for a couple months now and we've not been on speaking terms after the first few races. Using the stock set-up it was a nose diving SOB. Went to the track last night to practice and dedicated the entire night to working on a good set-up and in particular getting rid of the nose diving.

Our current layout has a rather big and long double on the back stretch. At the beginning of the night my truck would literally land on it's lid at the end of the jump. It was almost doing a complete forward flip. On the other smaller jumps it just wanted to land right on its nose. I tried a bunch of different changes aimed at keep the weight rear-ward as well as experimenting with the speed I approached the jump, when I got on the gas, or even backed off the throttle. Nothing made it better. I literally couldn't get around the track because I was on my lid off every jump.

The one change that seemed to make it a little better was adding as much anti squat as possible. Then it dawned on me, the rear of the truck must be hitting the face of the jump and kicking the rear end up over the front. I didn't have any heaver springs specifically for the SC truck. I was running green rear springs at the time. So I grabbed my truggy front pink springs and threw them on the back just to experiment. WOW, the truck jumps perfectly level! Lap after lap, the truck jumped flawlessly! The scary part is, the truck still made really good rear traction despite having crazy stiff springs on the rear. The truggy pink front springs have a rate of 4.8!

If you look at an SC specific spring chart, the heaviest spring they list is a Red spring with a rate of 2.93. So I'm not sure that spring would even be heavy enough to eliminate the nose diving. The buggy rear spring is the same as the SC truck, and the buggy specific spring chart actually goes up to a Purple spring with a rate of 3.37. I don't know the right spring yet, but I do know the issue is the truck being waaaaay too soft in the rear. I'm probably going to go right to that purple spring, but if I had to, I can still wheel this truck with the truggy front pink spring.

Last edited by Wease; 07-31-2015 at 07:53 PM.