R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated SC5M Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2015, 11:46 PM
likea45
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
yes, to the b5m, no to the t5m. That is my opinion. I have "raced" sc and st before. SC drive like crap. They look cool and that is where they end. For me, they just dont have that on rail feeling of 2wd and 4wd buggies. And it you talked to most of the Pro level drivers, I am sure they pretty much all prefer and focus on buggy. SC and ST are side show classes. The reasons I am getting the sc5m have nothing to do with the race-ability of the truck and everything to do with Pros/Cons for my 9 year old. If you love SC "racing" cool. To each their own. You should not take offence, just because someone has a different opinion than you.
I'm first and foremost a buggy racer. Both 2wd and 4wd. It's interesting that before others chimed in, I simply asked if you considered the other vehicles that share 90% of the parts with the SC5 to be race vehicles, and you indicated that one was and the other was not and that I shouldn't take offense. I didn't.

What I think strikes a chord with many here is that:
A. Many buggy drivers (myself for example), enjoy 2wd SCT as second, third or if your a champ, fourth class to run and enjoy the technical hurdles of it. Because Traxxas makes entry level SCTs it gets a bad rep as a basher only class.
Other people who don't run SCT tend to give it this rep because a lot of new drivers start in that class. Many also start as I did with a 2wd buggy. One is not superior to the other when you start out.

B. This is a thread for a new race truck. Regardless if you race 2wd SCT or think it sounds like a garbage can rolling down the driveway, it's still meant to be raced and shares the same parts and race geometry as the B5M. When you come in to a thread and say "I won't race this because I don't consider it a race vehicle" and then follow that up with "but my 9yr old kid might love it" it comes off as insulting and elitist to those that like to run the class as adults and take it seriously.

I think you know this as you seem to not be new to the hobby nor racing, which leads me to believe that stirring the proverbial pot may have been the intention since you wouldn't need to ask SCT drivers if a kit car would be good for a kid. A Traxxas slash might be better actually.