R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2015, 06:45 PM
Rodarbal
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default Granpa's Survey

Home track RC club:
Austin, TX Hobbytowns (North and South locations), temporary parking lot tracks. Longest running on-road race program in all of Texas. Year round racing.
North location: Deteriorating, rough asphalt with plenty of dips to keep things interesting. Generally good traction, but harsh on tires.
South location: Smooth asphalt with slight elevation changes. Great traction, but much depends on who's doing the spraying.

Layouts change weekly (setup in the morning, tear down late in the afternoon), but outer dimensions of the track are usually within 150 x 75 ft. (46 x 23 m for y'all who are in metric countries). Some layouts are tighter than others. Track is sprayed with grape soda (we've found this to be better than orange soda or root beer, actually).

Clip from the Texas Electric On-road Series (EOS) in 2013:
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Unfortunately, there isn't a big following Tamiya M-0x cars here in Texas and a TCS M-class won't fly in Austin, nor have I seen it at other clubs in Dallas or Houston. My son and I have raced ours just for fun in our "M12" class (27T silver can brushed, any M-scale chassis), but the Tamiyas just aren't competitive due to gearing. Our big straights kill us (GT8, nitro and 1/10 mod guys love it). I've been thinking about getting the 3Racing fast gear set, but that will only get us down to a 4.3 FDR.

I have raced my M-05 with the guys at Hotshot in Marietta, GA when they had the carpet layout. That was my first race with the little FWD car and I fell in love with the Tamiya M-cars. So unique and quirky, they're a breath of fresh air in a sea of carbon fiber touring cars.

As for Tamiya M-scale cars owned, we've got an M-01, M-03 and M-05. My son and I are content to doing laps in the street and in the house (against my wife's wishes, LOL) and just enjoy the Tamiyas for what they are. I race an ABC Genetic in our M12 class and an XRay T4 in our USGT class. Also, for VTA, I'm playing around with a TB-04... because it's unique and quirky.