R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - New Schumacher KF2
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2015, 06:07 AM
maizer
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by motorcitymatt
Interesting. This is why I was very curious to see an actual measurement of this layout as eyeballing it does not always end up agreeing with the measured results, which in this case were counterintuitive (at least to me). But based on what Maizer is saying I do not think it was his intent for this design/experiment to be made public let alone scrutinized so I digress.

With regards to the comments about the method of measuring used my question to anyone is: What are you trying to measure? If you want to determine where the center of mass is on the car then the best way to do that is how Tony has been suggesting. Remove and/or account for all the unsprung mass and take the spring pre-load out of the equation by using struts to set the suspension level at ride height. Once you can see where the center of mass moves as you make changes then you can start answering questions about dynamic weight transfer and handling.

This is not to say that scaling a car on tires has no value. It is just not as accurate in determining the car's center of mass, which is the key element affecting the car's handling.
I made the changes to the car to make it more 17.5 friendly, and after testing feel it is. The car has more rear grip regardless of the scales. The true test is coming as i have put my mod motor back in.