R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent Cobra GT-E
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2015, 08:38 AM
utah300rum
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Thought I would bump the thread and give some info on our racing here in UT

We have had a pretty good group of Nitro GT racers here in Ut for several years. After I started taking over as race director I did not have the time to keep my Nitro GT running where I wanted and quit racing to run the race program.

This year another racer decided to go against the grain and built a Serpent GTe Kit to race....... I thought this was my chance to maybe get some race time again and decided grab one as well. He built a team kit and I bought a new RTR roller from a chop shop online.

Mine was the RTR chassis so I went thru the chassis and used lock-tite and just double checked the build which was pretty good for RTR standards. I installed the Hobbywing M5B combo with the Xerun 150a ESC and 4038SD 2250kv motor. I am running 2-2s 7200 SMC lipo's. I had a Savox servo laying around so I threw that in.

On the first race night my car was loose in the rear end, Ty one of our local Serpent Drivers came over and set my front droop and raised my roll center. The car felt better but still loose in the rear I was running sweep 50's and it was pretty cool nigh in the high 50 to low 60's F..... so Ty threw a set of his Sweep 45's on the back and the car was hooked up. I was running an 18t pinion and on our track the car was very very quick and quite a handful. I decided to step down to a 16t pinion until I get more familiar with the car then will work my way back up. Even at the 16t pinion I have no lack in top end and can still pace the faster modded nitro cars or slightly gain ground on the more standard powered nitro cars on the straight away.

My car is still running the box stock diff oil, shock oil and all the factory adjustment besides the droop and roll center and the car has felt very good. I know many people who put down RTR kits but mine has been great even Ty and the other GTe driver felt my car handled very well. Not bad for a RTR car that cost me under $500 to get on the track, I'm into the car $255 for the roller $210 for the Hobbywing Combo. I am curious to see how a full RTR Serpent GTe would handle since I have made so few changes to setup.

With 3 race nights under my belt so far my lack of drive time over the last 3 years as race director is really showing. Hopefully I can get enough drive time to do the car justice.

I am excited to see more guys looking at joining our GT racing program... I think historically many racers have been hesitant to grab a nitro GT and I am betting on some of these guys may feel more comfortable grabbing a GTe and with some luck our GT program will continue to grow.

Last edited by utah300rum; 05-26-2015 at 12:12 PM.