R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Old 05-20-2015, 11:16 AM
bizarrefish
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by MasiisaM
I personally wouldn't use EPA.

EPA will only limit how much power the ESC gets on the top end. It's just like limiting the throw of your steering servo. The throw is still there. It's just dialed back. EPA only has an effect at the top end of the power curve. If im not mistaken the issue is the power coming on too strong down low (causing over steer).

I dont see how an EPA limit will help in the bottom end of the throttle curve(where the problem is) D/R is a option, but really that's why ESC's have sooooo many adjustments.

For example on my Tekin RSX.. To help with power delivery.

I could limit the amount of power down low with using the limiter function. Can make the throttle curve non-linear and softer using Throttle profiles(very smiler to D/R). Take away "punch" with Throttle Minimums.

Make the neutral range wider so it's not so sensitive at the trigger.

Im sure any brand of a mid range ESC has these adjustments. Get in there and learn what each function does and play around with it..and test for feel/lap time.

You "could" take that 7.5 and make it as calm as a Hindu cow with proper esc settings, but the best road might be just pick up a 17.5 until you get the rust off.
Thanks, the adjustments I made at the weekend was still to keep the top end power but use a non linear throttle curve to smooth early delivery, provide solid mid range for 80% of the circuit then punch the last on the throttle range for the straight once I had entered it. After making those adjustments it was a lot smoother outside in testing.

I think I will get a Reedy 17.5 as its only $80 which will do me for several months and then go back to the 7.5 perhaps later in the year. As I'll mail order I won't receive it in time for this weekend so ill give the 7.5 another go with the adjustments already made. Any track time is better than none.

With the 17.5 though I'll need to update the 10.1 firmware to go to stock mode, should I choose to race, for practice I wont need it. I might get the programming box anyway as it will make for easier setting adjustment of the ESC on the fly.

As I have read, many ways to get the desired end result but the car will feel different to each of the ways to do it.

I spent most of yesterday evening tuning the diff and the nova slipper clutch now its had some running in.