R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Old 05-11-2015, 11:17 AM
RC*PHREAK
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
I ran into an issue this past weekend, and I thought I would share. My daughters car kept breaking or popping shock eclips while racing. I just kept blindly replacing them. This weekend, it happened again. Upon inspection, the piston seemed a bit loose on the shaft. So I pulled out a new "kit" piston and checked the fitting and it was much more snug. In fact, the older pistons were literally flopping around. It appears that over time the hole had worn and the piston became sloppy, thus started to torque on the eclips. This caused them to either pop off or break the clips. Also, once this happenes, the shaft may not move up and down correctly, causing additional wear on your hat bushings. Make sure your pistons are snug on the shaft and the shock bushings are good, or you could end up causing yourself much more issues.

Also, there was a guy that did a bunch of shock testing and analysis. He discovered that the biggest impact to shock piston performance was loose and flexing pistons. The kit pistons are not very snug, so I plan to run machined when ever possible.
i noticed some lash on my rear shocks last weekend (not sure if that's the right word. at the start of the up stroke on the bench i could feel sort of like a delay, hard to explain). took them apart and there was up and down play with the piston on the shaft. i put some kyosho 0.2mm shims on top of the bottom e-clip and it's gone now.

http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/kyosho-...kyo96641/p3868