R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - RSD RR12 12th Scale Pan Car Kit
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 08:50 AM
CristianTabush
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by geeunit1014
Im not sure if they run truer. When CT sent me the car he didnt have any diffs or tubes, so I borrowed some from a local xray guy (thanks craig! ). What I do know is xray diffs build butter smooth and stay that way because they use a real thrust bearing. I think craig had the diff to borrow because he used an irs style diff with magnesium parts to make it lighter for 17.5 racing

The diff has a carbon axle. if you really want to reduce wheel wobble, bsr makes a thing, not sure what to call it, it looks like the thing pizza places put in boxes to keep the pizza from getting squished. You use it when you true the rear tires to keep the arbor from warping the wheel, its pretty nice
This is totally a preference thing. I prefer the freer IRS diff. It makes the car less aggressive by a bit I feel. The XRAY diff is great, but you must get the cf axle.

Also, I have actually found that I go longer in between re builds with the IRS diff. The key, however is getting a good bearing in the thrust. We will have our own specific thrust bearings this week (they are still regular flanged bearings), which are picked out from the general population for their smoothness. I used to think the Xray diff lasted longer, but it no longer is the case. I constantly had to clean and re grease the thrust assembly to keep it smooth.

Key to keeping the diff fresh is your diff and car setting. The car must not be diffing out to keep the diff is in good shape. Many times in high bite, this is caused by suspension settings and not having a loose diff. Many people just keep tightening it an it goes bad quickly.