R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - T's Kyosho GT2 project - 56 mm motor
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 07:30 AM
Dr_T
Tech Addict

No more cleaning the living-room floor: took it out for a little test-drive today (6S only, don't have a 7S charger yet ), was fun!

Unfortunately it started raining shortly when I just started. I waited it out and continued when it was dry again, but the road was damp then and traction not so good. Wasn't looking for record speeds yet, just wanted to see if everything's working in order. Was amazed to see on the GPS I did actually get it up to 134 km/h (83 mph) on wet road, without trying to be really fast. With some good conditions and some more practice/confidence, this thing will be a blast .

Motor temp went up to 60°C max, ESC was 43°C inside, according to the the log. Peak Current draw was only little over 120 A with Torque control set at 4.5. Hard to tell yet how that setting works on dry road; on wet road I couldn't tell any limiting and was still sliding all over the place, as to be expected . Peak RPM was a bit higher than expected: higher than the nominal Voltage no-load RPM... if I should take Hobbyking's motor specs seriously (900kv @ 6S max = 20k RPM max) that might cause some problems when wanting to try 7S... Not sure what a realistic max RPM for this motor (rotor) should be. Anyone ideas? - Maybe I should just gear up .

The XL2 also logs ripple Voltage; max ripple at this test (120 A peaks) was 1.42V, which is 5.7% of the pack Voltage; according to Castle, that's good battery performance for the 5.0 Ah regular (40C) Turnigy pack I used: http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/show...2&postcount=11

Also shot some video, have to still check if it's of any use and then edit, will post later. Body and wings are still on the to-do list. White rear wing was borrowed froim my truggy, final version will be black, body also (matte of course ). Front wing I still have to give some thought. I think I don't need a whole lot of front downforce, so I'm thinking a simple lexan 1/10 ST or trimmed down buggy wing might do.