R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated TC6.2 Touring Car
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2015, 08:48 PM
El Nitro
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YoDog
I considered it a typo and built mine according to the TC6.1 manual. They work just fine. The only reason I can see adding both shims to the inside of the diff would be to tighten the gear mesh. If the smaller shim is put outside, I imagine that the shim will eliminate the outdrive contacting the plastic housing as well as supporting the outer O-ring seal. Hopefully Rick will chime in.
turtlehill
The 6.1 build had the small shim outside and the large shim inside. Moving the small shim inside tightens the gear mesh in the diff removing some play between the gears. It is intended to remove slop and make the diff smoother.
Sean Cochran
There have been a few people that stripped diffs with the original shimming so it was adjusted to make it full tight, all shims inside.
My new way is to build the diff with all the shims inside, assemble the diff with no lube then feel it. Normally I will move 1 shim back to the outside but not always. It really is just a feel for how all the gears mesh.
I do think that the old way, 2 out and 2 in, is probably loose but if you run 17.5t most likely it will never hurt the diff.
Thanks Guys,

I have since downloaded the latest Manual from AE.
Its different from my Manual that came with the kit.

It now says use 1 x large and 1 x small shim inside the Diff on each side.

I hadn't heard of diffs stripping. May be happening in Mod.

Thanks for the replies. Ill RE-build both diffs the new way.

Cheers

Last edited by El Nitro; 04-02-2015 at 06:33 AM.