R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Old 03-29-2015, 05:32 PM
W.E.D.Jim
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Originally Posted by iScream
I get your point but there is no perfect RC car. If every track was exactly the same, with exactly the same traction level all the way around, and every driver drove exactly the same, I think an optimal chassis setup and tire compound/tread profile could be engineered without too much trouble.
But even on the same track, conditions vary on different corners or jumps. You can have huge differences in traction level and how smooth the surface is within a few feet traveled.
The interaction between a race car, RC or full size, and the track enviironment is incredibly complex. That's part of why we keep getting new cars with new adjustments and geometries. Another reason is improvements in materials and manufacturing that make the cars more durable and or easier to work on.
All accurate statements. Although I will point out that when cars had aluminum chassis and someone released one with a composite it was scoffed at...initially. Then they all used composite chassis. Even today some use composite, some aluminum and cars are more adjustable than ever, even allowing transmissions to be turned 180 degrees, wheelbase alterations, on and on.

The bottom line is these debates have been raging since I started racing in 1985. Although much has changed, the majority is exactly the same, other than Internet debates added into the bench racing debate.

Everyone buys new cars looking for the wins, but the same guys win at local tracks and major events as with the previous design.
Like buying an Apple product. You don't need it, but you want the latest version.

I just don't get the arguing as if somebody knows what's really best in spite of it all. Which was my original point.

Keep it fun, that's all that really matters in the end.