R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0 Kit Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2015, 05:05 PM
Thunder Trail
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)
Default The SCTE Slop Fix with Steel Pivot Balls

I have to agree with rcus3r. I feel your pain. Having owned about 5 of the SCTE trucks and two of the 2.0 rigs now, I know what parts wear out fast and the balls are first to go. The aluminum and dirt grind away the plastic at a fast pace. Diff washers/shims are soon to follow. With each release of the SCTE I have waited for a fix that has yet to happen. 3 years ago I started trying everything I thought would last longer. I hate to admit it, but some TRA___S rod ends lasted a long time slop free.

Like many others, I found my own solution. The fix is to use 6.8mm steel pivot balls and a vision racing ball bearing Ackerman plate. I have been using the stock plastic rod ends with steel pivot balls from a CEN truck. The 3mm hardware/cap screws work fine. These steel balls and stock links have lasted over a year so far with minimum slop. I think HPI, Kyosho or others make a 6.8 steel pivot ball if you want to give it a try. I just used what I had in spares from an older kit.

If you always run on a groomed track with little or no loose dirt, the HA balls do last a long time. For the rest of us, we need something better.