R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - "How To Properly Build And Break In a Ball Differential and Slipper Clutch"
Old 02-23-2015, 10:34 AM
Mudcat981
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shahram72
Why a ball diff? Why not gears?
You can run either. With a ball diff you have a finer adjustment for the track condition, you just the adjust a screw to apply pressure on the rings. Also a ball-diff is better for off-road and loose to semi-high bite tracks.

The gear diff you have to adjust the diff by changing diff oils wts. This is great if you run one type of track. Also gear diffs are better for super high bite tracks. Like carpet, super high bite.

I prefer the ball-diff because I run several tracks and depending on conditions I will tighten or loosen the diff. Also I tried the gear diff and it was to twitchy for me and my driving style. I know others that actually prefer the gears. In fact they will have 2-3 gear diff's with different oils so they can just pop them in and out for the type of track they are running.

Originally Posted by shahram72
Am I safe to change all the bearings except the ball diff for now? Will I ruin the diff?
The bushings will be fine for now. There is just as much movement in the diff as anywhere else in the drive train, but the bushing's will be fine until your next rebuild. I re-build mine every 3-4 races. Some rebuiled theirs every race, some every 1-2 race or months. Just monitor the feel and if the diff starts to feel gritty, or has a sticky/high spot, anything less than completely smooth --- rebuild it. Then change the bushings out.