R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Yokomo YZ-2
Thread: Yokomo YZ-2
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2015, 06:00 PM
WillS
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FLHX1550
So the only difference with the MIP system is the theory of easier maintenance with the pucks?

My BMax2 out drives and axles have hardly any wear after a year and a half of racing ( longest lasting axles I've owned in 25 years of racing) and for $90 one could service them 4 or 5 times.

Honestly I've not considered anything from MIP in years as all they made for years were CVDs and used the plastic rings to hold the pins in, which I've seen fail numerous times.
Wear is not the benefit. Its the huge drop in rotating mass. If you think about it like a screw driver, its had to turn a screw with a thin handled screwdriver, but if you increase the grip size it becomes easier to turn. Well By reducing the weight of the outdrives with the stock puck system you are in turn freeing up drivetrain through less rotational mass. This allows for quicker acceleration and more topend. It does bring back that "snap" that people search for in 4 gear transmissions.

This is why the stock guys in the top levels of competition seek these benefits. With the stock outdrives weighing in at 22g and Pucks weighing in around 8g, its a huge improvement that can be felt. There is also the lack of initial snap caused by the play between the pin and the outdrive. This play creates problems on hard acceleration that may actually cause the car to get funky every now and again. This is why there is a benefit to the mod pucks.

The design that the pucks are based off of has been around since the 90s and has been sought after by all stock racers. Look into the Blade systems used by Schumacher and Associated. Losi used a different system that was called the Slider system.