R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - G-Force Motor Checker
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2015, 09:04 AM
DesertRat
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bru00z
I know in offroad that lows amps is very slow. I tested one of my team powers 17.5 and it draws 10amps at about 40' timing free revving. I tried it down to about 4 amps and was way off the pace in the car so hate to think what 2 amps would be like.

Motor comes off between 60-70 celsius and have about 1200mah battery drain for a 5 minute race so all seem good and acceleration and top end is right up there. Also confirmed with a friend who runs R1 wurks 17.5 and his draws 10 amps too.
Originally Posted by b20btec
Anything lower than 10 amps on my 17.5 team powers for onroad I might as well race it in a 21.5 class. We run min quals and main and with this setting I hardly have fade. I'm logging my rpm after each run and the team powers motor is happy at 17,600-18,300 max rpm.
I have a Team Powers Actinium as well and when testing it on my Motor Checker it had an unusual ability for a 17.5, running it at the lock, which was about 60 degrees of timing, it spun a LOT of RPM and didn't seem to hurt its low-end. Also, at 60 degrees my motor was only drawing about 6.5 amps, not 10 or even 20 amps that my Tekin 17.5 drew at 60 degrees of timing. Each motor is different, if I had tried to run my Orca at 60 degrees it probably would have just given up, it wanted only 32 degrees and any more made it completely lose its low-end.

Offroad is a different animal, mid range and "wind out" on the top end is much more important because low-end grip is limited. You're also on the throttle proportionally less than onroad, giving the motor time to cool in the breeze. If you get the best results cranked, run it cranked.

This is a highly inexact science, and the Team Powers motor has been the oddest one I have tested, but it's a great motor performance wise and responds well to extra timing.

Just a little anecdote though: My Team Powers 17.5 draws 50-100 milliamp hours MORE power to run 50 laps of 1/12 scale than my Trinity 13.5 does to run 54 laps of 1/12 scale... in the same 8:05 range. There is some serious efficiency difference here.

Last edited by DesertRat; 02-05-2015 at 09:15 AM.