R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Street Jam SJF01 Formula 1. Niiiiiiiiice!
Old 02-02-2015, 05:07 AM
CFRacing
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by mtveten
Rob,

How cold is it there? From the video it looks like most of the field was lacking sufficient front tire grip, how do the soft fronts work?

It also looks as though you did not have enough ackerman in your car the slip angle through the infield is off contributing to the front washing out mid corner.

you will want to place your servo in the car with the links sufficiently swept back at neutral so that the inside link is straight across the chassis at full lock. Adjust the bumpsteer to your preference, raising the link at the horn will mellow steering response and help with exit steering. lowering the horn mount will make the car turn in better with a more aggressive feel.

The 2 biggest improvements I made to resolve my mid corner / on power push was to mount the rear pod links on the underside shimmed down 2mm and use very soft front spings like a tamiya silver or ride blue. Mounting the pod links on the underside of the mount will make the rear steer into as it rolls. The unique pod design on the stj provides less weight transfer and thus requires softer front springs to generate enough roll in low speed sections.

I am still lacking the forward bite on carpet of a levered t-bar car but it is now on par with any spring car I have seen. The forward bite issue seems limited to higher grip conditions where a sprung t-bar can load up and lunge the car forward improving acceleration. Next time out I will try pitching the entire pod to see if I launch it better but without some sort of spring device to load i think its unlikely i'll be able to match t-bar acceleration.

Your buddy with the 104 should try increasing his static caster and shimming the front of his upper arm to induce a negative reactive caster effect. On my 104 link car i run 6-8deg static w/ 3-5mm shim on the camber plate. On the t-bar car I run 8-12deg caster with 5-6mm camber plate shim. The extra caster helps with the inherent on power push and the negative reactive helps keep steering from washing out mid corner.

Where is your f1 relative to the 17.5 & 21.5 sedans?
would this mods work on a foam tire equipped car on carpet? MY CAR PUSHED REAL BAD. any help would be great.