R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team CRC Xti 1/12th Scale!!
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2015, 07:41 PM
davidl
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000
It is not so much aero squish as it is accelerational crush on the center spring. This is the big reason I went to the #3263 top plate. You won't notice this "squat" in stock or super stock, you simply do not have enough Hp to bottom the chassis out. There are a couple of ways to cure it; go up a spring or two or add a mm or 2 or a tall ball stud at the rear of the shock.

By going up to a green, purple or black, you get more on-throttle steering as well as more corner entry steering while reducing the back of the chassis/front of the pod from getting gooped up. Getting gooped up is not such a bad thing unless the car takes a hefty 20* hook out of the hole! Then you need to make a change.

I ran a box stock WC in mod last Sat. The only things that would be changed was the addition of the 2.5 camber gain spacer and a green center spring. I used double blue/ blue at 40.2/41.8. By the main, it was one of the best mod cars I have driven. I started the night with a purple center spring and the bottom of the chassis was clean, but it over rotated entering this one corner from a fairly high speed. I reduced to a green spring and cured the over rotation, but the chassis started to goop up a little. I added 1mm under the rear ball stud for the main. I could drive it even harder and by doing so, it gooped the bottom up a little but had no effect on handling. That being said, I will likely change from the 50 front springs to 45's and go back to the purple or black to see if I can get a tick more "on" steering without getting that over rotation. But it was a pretty fun car to drive!

By the way, one of our clubbies ran spec stripe front/blu rear in mod and fell in love. So if you think about it, we should have 3 great front tires to choose from: stripes, 2bl and blu.

I've raced stripes in stock at our club. They're pretty good. We'll likely race out the rest of our season on them. There's a good chance we'll vote them in as the tire spec next season for stock.
Great answer, Brian. I got more than I bargained for on that one. I have been trying the WC car in mod trim a couple weekends and have had some problems. I don't recall if I tried the green spring because I felt over-rotation with the red. I didn't have any double blue front tires at that time so maybe I should go back to that now. I have some electronic issues with it as well. I lack experience with mod motors in these cars as I haven't really run this since 2007. I have flattened out the shock to make it comfortable on the track I attend.

Regarding tires, I am hoping that the big organizations don't adopt a spec tire in any class of 1/12. I think the striped rubber is our old faithful purple or at least from the purple family. I think they pick up too much debris and marbles from the track to make the 8 minutes comfortably. I don't feel as good about WGT and I think that tire is part of it.