R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray XB4 thread
Thread: Xray XB4 thread
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2015, 03:53 PM
kevinpratt823
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

For anybody following along with my dogbone issue, here is some info I just sent in reply to an email from Bryan at RC America:

"Thanks Bryan.

I just removed the shocks for the sake of it, no difference. The camber links are free floating when it's bottomed out and bound against the bone (in it's vertical position).
To be honest I don't remember positively now if I reset camber with the 0 deg inserts, so FWIW, I just played around with camber and this is what I found-

While the inserts were set in the inner position, as I brought the camber down, I had to go to about 1 deg before the chassis would touch the ground, but it was still a tad up on the right side with just a touch of tension left on the right bone.

I also just put in the 1 deg center inserts, so they are in the 1 deg, bottom/center position. At 2.5 deg w/19mm ride height it is just barely off the ground on the right side. As I back the camber off, right when it gets under 2 deg is when the chassis is finally on the ground and the tension starts to come off the bone.

Maybe I just got the "Perfect Storm" effect of all the wrong parts being at the wrong ends of their tolerances and that's why we aren't noticing anything way out of whack? If you think about it, as in the first instance of the inserts in the inner position, we're talking about 1.5 deg of camber to get it flat, which is only approx 1 full turn on the turnbuckle, which by what I just measured is approx a .75mm change in length of the turnbuckle.

The way I just set the car up that works is as follows:
1 deg inserts in middle lower positions, 19mm ride height, with 2.5 deg camber, and 3 o-rings on the shock shafts. This is basically the threshold I can go to. The o-rings bottom out with the chassis about 1mm off the board, and the car still rolls freely, it appears I just can't get the same setup numbers with any insert position closer in than center."

It should probably be noted that due to the fact that the CV is about halfway between the arm pin and the turnbuckle, the .75mm(1 full turn) on the turnbuckle really likely only translates to maybe .35mm that the dogbone moves in/out, so if things are off it only needs to be a small fraction.